Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Lincoln


Since I could remember, I thought I was going to grow up to become an actress. I loved movies, I loved the escapism and lets face it - I loved the spotlight.  But in my late teens I came to the very sad realisation that Martin Scorsese was not going to walk into my local shopping mall, "discover" me and offer me a starring role in his latest gangster flick. Well shit. Even so, my love of movies has never wavered. I go to the movies weekly, sometimes twice weekly, so I started doing little reviews on my instagram account which my friends seemed to enjoy so I thought i'd transfer that to my blog. So here goes my first movie review for ya'll....

Lincoln

OK, usually I love a slow meander of a film.  I love having the time to get to know the characters, to get lost in the script and float along on a slowly bubbling plot. But Lincoln was bloody slow dude. Even too slow for me. The script was so authentic that they mumbled and bumbled through America's civil war politics without any explanation or dumbing down for audiences. Some of you might say, "well why should it be dumbed down" which I usually agree with but in this case - an extremely slow, extremely long (150 minutes), wordy political film can be a little exhausting to follow. 

The performances are all impeccable, as you would expect from Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field but I felt absolutely nothing towards the characters. No empathy, no pity, no encouragement. I was excited however to see appearances from some of my favourite TV show actors from the likes of Madmen, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad. 

I guess I went to see Lincoln because it is blazing with nominations through the award season but in the end it was definitely not for me. I have seen far better movies this awards season with the likes of Silver Linings Playbook, The Master, Django Unchained, The Impossible and Zero Dark Thirty.  

So there we have it, I would love to hear your thoughts on Lincoln in the comments below. 

Happy humpday! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment