Blog Header

Blog Header

Thursday 21 February 2013

The First 'I Do'

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4828895/?claim=6qjuymsgaaz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

On the 2nd January 2013 I was invited to photograph the lovely beach wedding of Chris and Jenna Holliday. My first wedding gig. I don't really get your typical nerves like most people. I don't get butterflies in my tummy or any kind of anxiety. My body's way of dealing with pressure is to go numb, which is a strange feeling. Well before this wedding I felt VERY numb. So, I knew was nervous. I am used to shooting fashion and beauty but weddings are a completely different ball game. You don't get to pose your subjects, move them into the perfect light, you can't just yell at guests to move out of your frame. You have to blend in and be on your toes the whole time. Plus, you don't want to be responsible for ruining the tangible memories of someones special day - the pressure is HUGE! But even so, I surprised myself at how much I enjoyed shooting this wedding. The sun was shining, the bride was beautiful, the guests were smiling - what more could you want really? I found myself exhausted but not wanting to stop. Every time I lowered my camera I would see another special moment almost disappearing before my eyes. Well into the reception - after watching the guests get merry on champagne, after seeing many a glass lifted after a warming speech and after snapping bare-foot beauties dance like nobody was watching - it was time for me to go. My job was done and in place of my earlier numbness was contentment. The photo's I took that day will now live in the home of Chris and Jenna and their daughter Jordy and every now and again they will look through their wedding album and smile, laugh and maybe cry as the photographs remind them how they felt that day. Seriously, what a bloody privilege to be a part of that...





















































No comments:

Post a Comment